There are few things as confusing as when exactly Mother’s Day is in Nigeria.
We did a mini world tour to learn the days the rest of the World celebrates mummies.
1. In Norway, Mother’s Day comes on the second Sunday of February.
Jeg elsker deg mumien ❤
2. 8th of March is International Women’s Day, but Bulgarians and Azerbaijanis mark it as Mother’s Day too. In fact, Mother’s Day looks like Valentine’s Day in Azerbaijan.
Mən sizə Mummy Love ❤
3. In the UK. around March and April, Mother’s Day falls on the 4th Sunday of Christian Lent, and it is called Mothering Sunday.
4. In Spain, Portugal, and Lithuania, Mother’s Day falls on the first Sunday of May.
5. Second Sunday of May, and you have Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Netherlands, Finland, Germany, Italy, Japan, Turkey and the United States of America all celebrating.
6. A bulk of the Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, say shukran to the mummies on the 8th of May.
7. On the 10th of May, Hong Kong, India, Mexico, fall in line for the mothers.
8. The Polish mothers own the 26th of May.
9. The last Sunday of May is for the French and the Swedes.
Ma mere ❤
10. The Queen of Thailand’s birthday is on the 12th of August. Since she’s the first mother of the country, they kuku celebrate Mother’s Day on the same date.
11. In Argentina, Mother’s Day falls on the 3rd Sunday of October.
12. And Nigeria? Because we don’t have our own and we have oversabi, we kuku collected everybody’s Mother’s Days and made them ours.
Which is why we never seem to run out of Mother’s Day.
Since we have not decided on when we want to celebrate ours, can we just make it everyday?